Afghanistan
Const/Govt Edu/Child Society/Comm Expression

Afghanistan has suffered from chronic instability and conflict in its modern history from the Cold War to the civil wars between the Mujahedeen and the Taliban. The Taliban was removed from power in 2001 (but still exists) and Afghanistan has had a democratically elected government since 2004. 2016 was marked […]

Read More

Bangladesh
Const/Govt Edu/Child Society/Comm Expression

Though in theory a secular democracy, the government has frequently given into pressure from Islamist parties, and continues to threaten atheists and others on charges of “hurting religious sentiments”. As of 2013 it was estimated that 89.1% of the population were Muslim (the majority of whom are Sunni), 10% Hindu, […]

Read More

Bhutan
Const/Govt Edu/Child Society/Comm Expression

Constitution and government The constitution and other laws and policies guarantee the right to freedom of religion or belief. But the Kingdom of Bhutan officially recognizes only Buddhism and Hinduism, and proclaims Buddhism is the “spiritual heritage” of Bhutan. Furthermore, the government imposes some restrictions on freedom of expression, and […]

Read More

India
Const/Govt Edu/Child Society/Comm Expression

India is the world’s most populous democracy, religiously pluralistic, and for many years proud, in the main, of its secular Constitution. Since the passage of the Citizenship (Amendment) Act, sweeping protests and counter protests have turned increasingly violent, with the vast majority of victims being Muslims. The Act, which establishes a new route to […]

Read More

Iran
Const/Govt Edu/Child Society/Comm Expression

Iran, the second largest nation in the Middle East, has a population of more than 80 million, of which (on paper at least) 99% are identified as Muslim. The Muslim majority includes a Shia majority (90%) and 9% Sunni Muslims (Turkmen, Arabs, Baluchis and Kurds). The remaining 1% of non-Muslim […]

Read More

Maldives
Const/Govt Edu/Child Society/Comm Expression

Though most famous internationally as a popular tourist destination, the Maldives has been described as undergoing a battle between liberal and literal interpretations of Islam, with serious human rights violations linked to fundamentalists, and attacks on perceived atheists and homosexuals in recent years. Constitution and government There is no formal […]

Read More

Nepal
Const/Govt Edu/Child Society/Comm Expression

Prior to a civil war between Maoist rebels and the government in 2006, the country was officially a Hindu state. In 2008, Nepal became a secular democratic republic. The new constitution as of 2015 retains “secularism” but places restrictions on freedom of religion or belief. Constitution and government In 2015, […]

Read More

Pakistan
Const/Govt Edu/Child Society/Comm Expression

Pakistan is approximately 97% Muslim and the remaining 3% are Christian, Hindu, Buddhists or others.1https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/pk.html The country has suffered chronic sectarian violence against religious and non-religious minorities, with Shia Muslims subjected to the majority of the violence, and many extremely serious incidents against the Christian minority. For individual non-religious persons to […]

Read More

Sri Lanka
Const/Govt Edu/Child Society/Comm Expression

The Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka is a country of just over 20 million people occupying an island in the northern Indian Ocean.  Formerly part of the British Empire, “Ceylon” attained independence in 1948, and became a republic in 1972. According to the 2012 census, the Sinhalese make up […]

Read More
whois: Andy White WordPress Theme Developer London